Construction Materials Lab Technician
Who We Are:
Founded in 1964, TTL is an engineering design firm focused on delivering integrated infrastructure solutions for public and private clients. From site and corridor selection to due diligence, design, and construction services, TTL is your trusted partner providing single-sourced custom solutions for complex infrastructure development. With more than 400 team members across the Southern United States, TTL provides a wide range of services, including civil, transportation, and geotechnical engineering; environmental consulting and remediation; testing, inspection, and observation of construction materials; and surveying.
What We Want:
Hollywood’s image of lab workers is someone in a white coat squinting through a beaker. That isn’t the lab tech we’re looking for. TTL is hiring a construction materials (CMT) lab technician who likes to break things. Specifically, our CMT lab tech will be focused on concrete testing to ensure it meets the proper structural and safety requirements that the job demands. For our concrete testing, that means destroying a sample of concrete and then recording and possibly explaining the results. Our tests for soil quality and other construction-related matters typically aren’t as destructive or intense, but the responsibilities are the same – accuracy, organization and attention to detail are musts. Occasionally, our CMT lab technicians are asked to do some field work or pull nights or weekends, but mainly this is a job for the person who likes routine and enjoys working primarily in a laboratory setting.
At TTL, we are driven to serve our clients, our communities, and especially our people. TTL provides a great work/life balance as well as excellent employee benefits, including a robust health and dental plan, a vision plan, a 401(k) program with a company match, flexible spending accounts, and generous paid-time off (PTO) accrual.
Build your foundation. Build your future. Build your legacy.
Come to TTL.
Education / Experience
- High school diploma or equivalent
- 0-2 years
- Perform routine destructive and non-destructive testing services for cementitious and soil materials.
- Become knowledgeable of the operation of applicable testing equipment and procedures
- Perform basic scientific testing, understand terms, definitions, and concepts and applicable testing standards
- Perform basic calculations using simple mathematical skills
- Maintain an organized workspace and file system (physical and electronic)
Certifications / Licenses Required (Desired)
- Possess or be willing to obtain, within 180 days:
- ACI Concrete Strength Testing Technician
- NICET Construction Materials Testing Concrete
- NICET Construction Materials Testing Soil
- Frequently required to stand and walk while transporting laboratory samples
- Frequently required to use fine motor control to manipulate laboratory samples
- Must be able to lift and/or move at least 50 pounds.
- Communicate clearly both orally and in writing
- Maintain accurate recordkeeping and detailed laboratory analyses, reports, and field notes
- Work additional hours and weekends to complete tasks on or ahead of schedule
- Keep work areas orderly and assigned equipment and vehicles clean and in good working order
- Be responsive and professional when interacting with clients
- Maintain a neat and professional appearance along with polite and respectful behavior
- Demonstrate compliance with all required safety protocol
- Detail-oriented and organized with electronic information as well as physical samples
Job Type: Full-time
This position is subject to a pre-employment drug and motor vehicle record check
TTL is an EEO/AAP employer.