The Leaf Chronicle
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com
Gannett is seeking a leader who understands newsletter strategy and displays an obsession with engaging suburban and small-town readers in their in-box and beyond.You’ll need to be as passionate about saving local news as we are because you’ll be helping lead its rebirth in communities across the country.We are NOT here to manage decline – this is a growth job on an ambitious, growth-oriented team. If you’re a newsletter subject matter expert with solid news leadership experience and a similar passion for this work, we’d love to talk with you.
In this fully remote role (based anywhere in the Lower 48), you’ll oversee a series of local email newsletter launches and have a dotted line to the local journalists executing them. You’ll help onboard, train, and strategize. You will sometimes line edit, although that isn’t the primary role. You’ll work closely and collaboratively with local editors to build their capacity for newsletter oversight. You’ll be fluent with data and quick to implement what you learn from it. Because these are emerging areas, you can expect to help shape the future of your own job and to be part of a growth team.
Most of the newsletter-forward journalists you work with will be the only full-time staff member in their community. Many will be new hires with a lot to learn, and they’ll be spread out across the map. To support their work, you’ll coordinate closely with their direct editor, digital producer/planners and members of Gannett’s content strategy team.
The successful candidate will need to:
- Demonstrate expertise in newsletter and audience engagement strategies.
- Possess strong leadership skills and a track record of collaborating with diverse, out-performing teams.
- Display excellent news judgment and journalism ethics.
- Be nimble and experiment with formats and styles, measuring success and implementing new strategies.
- Work effectively with editors, peers, strategists and other colleagues across the company.
- Have familiarity with tools to monitor newsletter metrics.
- Have a sophisticated understanding of SEO insights and strategies.
- Be nimble and able to adjust swiftly to shifting news demands.
- Bachelor's or master’s in communications, journalism or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 1-3 years of leadership experience, preferably with digital focus.
- Commitment to detail, accuracy and fairness.
- Command of grammar, AP style, media law and SPJ Code of Ethics.
- Ability to multi-task and excel under deadline pressure, using time efficiently.
- Employment is contingent on passing a pre-employment, post-offer background check.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume – one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Examples of your work. Please include newsletters and explain your contributions – whether you wrote them or edited them.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
The annualized base salary for this role will range between $51,300.00 and $120,750. Variable compensation is not reflected in these figures and based on the role, may be applicable. Exact compensation may vary based on skills, experience, location, and union representation, if applicable.
- Job Family Media
- Job Function Content Production
- Pay Type Salary
- Required Education Equivalent Experience
- United States