The Leaf Chronicle
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com
The USA Today, Gannett-owned network is looking for a fast, accurate and creative video news producer/editor who is just as comfortable producing and editing videos on a federal government shutdown as working on the latest T Swift spotting. This is a position in our growing Video Production Center that creates visual content for USA TODAY as well as Gannett’s local properties across the country.
We focus on the “news of the day” with a particular emphasis on breaking news. A deep interest in news, politics, current events, pop culture and social media trends is essential.
The successful candidate will have demonstratable experience pitching daily story ideas that will optimize on Gannett owned properties as well as social media. This candidate should also be capable of suggesting visually compelling ways to tell the stories. Strong interviewing and AP stylebook writing skills are a must.
Candidate should be a highly proficient Premiere editor comfortable editing fast, social-driven, viral moments on various platforms, as well as longer, interview-based explainer videos with voice overs. Experience writing meta data as well as SEO strategies is vital in this role.
Finally, this is a position that requires a self-starter who is motivated and competitive. Thorough communication with the team is important. The candidate should have the flexibility to work an early morning shift, possible weekends and occasional overtime as news events require. Live-streaming experience is a plus.
Our preference is candidates who are near Washington, DC, Atlanta or New York City, but remote workers in all states except for Alaska and Hawaii will be considered.
- Work alongside current production staff to pitch, write, edit, publish, program, and share news videos across all USA TODAY NETWORK’s digital platforms.
- Track updates and new developments on assignments.
- Maintain communication with the video team leaders, National News Desk, USA TODAY editors, writers and reporters and local USA TODAY NETWORK properties.
- Edit and produce videos for nationally significant news stories, buzzy/trending stories, explainer videos and social video content.
- Obtain video and information from USA TODAY NETWORK properties for production.
- Monitor social media and third-party content providers to identify viral moments.
- Write meta data to drive high audience engagement.
- Conduct remote interviews compatible with short-form storytelling.
- Handle other essential tasks as assigned.
- Bachelor's or master’s degree in journalism or any other subject or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 3-5 years of newsroom experience in a television or digital newsroom and/or equivalent video news experience.
- Experience with social media and creating videos for social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, and Instagram.
- Strong journalism skills; detail-oriented, strong editorial judgment, time management skills and the ability to work independently.
- Motivated, self-starter who can multi-task and communicate effectively across multiple groups.
- Ability to write engaging headlines and other video metadata.
- Understanding of SEO requirements for video metadata.
- Some experience with video analytics from a platform such as Adobe or Google analytics.
- At least 2 years of experience on Adobe Premiere and the Adobe Creative Suite.
- Basic technical understanding of video systems and operations.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Comfortable with video rights management.
- Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer, pre-employment background check.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume – one to two pages.
- 2. A cover letter detailing your related experience and information explaining why you think you are the right person for the job. If you do not include a cover letter, you will not be considered.
- 3. Links to 5 online samples of digital storytelling. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
The annualized base salary for this role will range between $36,281 and $87,328 . Variable compensation is not reflected in these figures and based on the role, may be applicable. Exact compensation may vary based on skills, experience, location, and union representation, if applicable.
- Job Family Media
- Job Function Content Production
- Pay Type Salary
- Required Education Equivalent Experience
- United States