Elections Reporting Fellow, Education
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com
Elections Reporting Fellow, Education
The USA Today Network’s election reporting fellowship program expands the coverage of the country’s largest news publisher at a critical time as we serve audiences with local, regional and national election journalism.
The USA Today Network is seeking an enterprising, collaborative, and scoop-driven journalist to contribute its reporting on education as a key issue for voters in the 2024 election.
This reporter will have a deep understanding of debates and challenges in American education – including all levels of schooling and the student loan landscape. Helping readers understand the intersection between education and politics through the lens of people, not policy, will be fundamental to this role.
Reporting opportunities will span high-interest local and state matters, regional themes and national issues oneducation that come up on the campaign trail. This reporter will contribute to voter guides andother resources to help readers understand candidates’ views on education policy. Data and service journalism will be at the core of helping inform our readers.
This is an opportunity to write explanatory and informative journalism on a team that will help voters make informed decisions on Election Day.
This full-time fellowship runs from Jan. 2, 2024, to Dec. 27, 2024, and will pay $19.28-$24.04 per hour. The start date can be flexible for thee right candidate.
This is a remote position, and you can be based in any state except for Alaska and Hawaii. Travel may be required.
- Deliver original reporting on education policy and student loans.
- Dig deeply into the intersection of education and politics on the 2024 campaign trail.
- Place the audience as your top priority in story selection and writing approach.
- Help voters make informed decisions by contributing to our sweeping voter guide initiative and reporting and writing service journalism that explain how proposed education policy would impact Americans.
- Write on high-interest local, state and national education issues, as well as producing enterprise to capture the sentiment of education policy in the 2024 election.
- Contribute to network-wide brainstorms and projects, bringing your expertise on one of the primary issues to Americans in the upcoming election.
The right candidate:
- Has proven experience in a digital news environment filing accurate, concise, and clean copy on deadline.
- Has a robust understanding of what’s happening in education and politics across the country to create conversation-starting journalism.
- Is infinitely curious and always has a story idea ready to go.
- Can manage time wisely, balancing short-turn stories with deeper investigations.
- Enjoys collaborating with editors and writers across the network on breaking news and special packages.
- Ensures our coverage includes a diversity of ideas, perspectives, and voices.
- Upholds Gannett’s standards of journalistic rigor, accuracy, and fairness.
- Will have a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume – one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
The hourly rate for this role will range between $19.28 and $24.04. Variable compensation is not reflected in these figures and based on the role, may be applicable. Exact compensation may vary based on skills, experience, location, and union representation, if applicable.
- Job Family Media
- Job Function Fellow
- Pay Type Hourly
- Required Education Equivalent Experience
- United States