Visual Editor, USA TODAY
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com
Visual Editor, USA TODAY
USA TODAY is looking for a versatile Visual Editor for a full-time position in our photo and video department. This will be based at USA TODAY’s headquarters in the Washington, DC metropolitan area OR is eligible for remote work for the right candidate. Join a global digital media company of more than 250 media properties across the country.
The ideal candidate will be a visual journalist who demonstrates a passion for photo and video editing. You have excellent storytelling and production skills, sound news judgment,while working within a multimedia, multiplatform newsroom environment.
The Visual Editor is a creative, passionate storyteller with sharp attention to detail and the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously. The Visual Editor is comfortable crafting visual stories ranging from in-depth investigations, news-driven features to social media segments and everything in between under the guidance of senior visual leaders. The ideal candidate is adept as a multimedia ninja, demonstrating skill and as a photo and/or video editor, all while operating at the highest ethical standards of video and photojournalism.
This person will have demonstrated strong skills in writing, editing, and producing content; field and assess pitches; and stay ahead of industry trends.
This person will have experience navigating a wide variety of sources to find timely and engaging visual content, from traditional news services, photo and video archives, UGC and social media.
The Visual Editor will be an assertive visual journalist and excellent communicator, with the ability to interface with editors, producers, fellow journalists across the company.
The Visual Editor will work collaboratively with editors at headquarters in Tysons Corner, Va., and remotely with editors and producers at our Video Production Center in Atlanta, in our NYC and Los Angeles bureaus, and in coordination with other USA TODAY NETWORK properties across the country.
This position can be based at USA TODAY’s headquarters in McLean, Va., but we are also open to remote applicants who can be located in all states except Alaska and Hawaii.
Job Level: Photo/Video Editor II
Minimum salary: $62,000
- Finding and pitching unique story ideas and initiating visual story ideas based off current trends and news.
- Work with senior producers, editors, and photo/video journalists as required and participate in news meetings with visual leaders within USA TODAY and across the USA TODAY Network.
- Work with editors, producers and photographers to edit original photo and video content for publication using the Adobe Creative Suite and PhotoMechanic; produces daily news and feature photo galleries for online packages.
- Assists in planning news coverage using analytics, reviews “wins” and “losses” in past event coverage and recommends adjustments in future coverage plans as necessary.
- Working knowledge of the best types of visual content for variety of social media platforms, including YouTube, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook and TikTok.
- Be a self-starter; someone who can spearhead projects solo but also works well in a team setting, too.
- Works collaboratively with a passionate and highly-motivated team of videographers, reporters, editors and producers.
- Flexible and able to react to change productively and handle other essential tasks as needed.
- Bachelor's or master’s degree in communications, journalism or any other related subject or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience with producing content for digital platforms
- News writing or news producing background, a background in editorial decision making is a must.
- Confident navigating social media, including writing, scheduling and optimizing posts and able to create video for different platforms
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- The ideal candidate will be interested in all forms of visual journalism– from video and photography to motion graphics.
- We know there are great candidates who won’t fit every single item described above and may have important skills that we hadn’t even thought of. If that’s you, apply and explain how your skills can surprise and delight us in this role.
- Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer, pre-employment background check.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Resume – one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job. – Tell us what makes your work stand out.
- Online links to your portfolio.
It is important that these items be assembled in a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
The annualized base salary for this role will range between $62,000.00 and $93,150.00. Variable compensation is not reflected in these figures and based on the role, may be applicable. Exact compensation may vary based on skills, experience, location, and union representation, if applicable.
- Job Family Media
- Job Function Creative & Design
- Pay Type Salary
- Required Education Equivalent Experience
- United States