E.W. Stewart Lumber Company was organized by Emit Wilson Stewart in 1921 as a saw mill. During the early 1940's E. W. Stewart Lumber Company began to emphasize residential and commercial construction along with retail building supplies. For thirty years the emphasis was on a construction oriented company. However, in 1970, the decision was made to stop building and start supplying the home builder and consumer with construction supplies. The 1970's were very prosperous years for building in the Dickson County area. Although the decision to stop construction was made, the company continued to grow. During the period 20,000 square feet of new warehouses were constructed. In the fall of 1976 there was a new shop open to manufacture door units. This period led to a wider mix in products furnished and inventories literally doubled. The company continued to lead the area as the largest building supply company.Inaccurate data? Flag it here.