Instrument Technician - Instrumentation & Controls
Nyrstar is an international producer of critical minerals and metals essential for a low carbon future. With a market leading position in zinc and lead, Nyrstar has mining, smelting and other operations located in Europe, the United States and Australia and employs approximately 4,000 people. Its Corporate Office is based in Budel-Dorplein, the Netherlands. The company’s operations are located close to key customers and major transport hubs to facilitate reliable and efficient delivery of raw materials and distribution of finished products. Nyrstar’s operating business is wholly owned by Trafigura, one of the world’s leading independent commodity trading and supply chain logistics companies.
INSTRUMENT TECHNICIAN - INSTRUMENTATION & CONTROLS
Overview of the role
The position is responsible for plant maintenance and electrical repairs. Job responsibilities include the following:
- Team member must be able to work in a team oriented and safety conscious environment. “Safety First” expectations include, but are not limited to, compliance with all company / site safety guidelines and procedures
- This position requires the employee to work with limited supervision
- Willing to work and take call ins all shifts including holidays and weekends when demanded by the job
- Must be able to adhere to the published work schedule while being flexible in hours based on workload
- Conduct Risk Assessments to identify and deal with any risks that may exist during work activities.
- Work from elevated areas (ladders, platforms, scaffolding, and others as required) utilizing fall protection equipment when needed
- Must be able to utilize industrial powered vehicles (RTFL, Forklift, Aerial Lift, Scissor Lift)
- Safely work near equipment with high levels of electrical incident energy
- Capable of trouble shooting Electrical Power and automation control problems to improve system performance in manufacturing environment.
- Ensures site is in compliance with all regulatory agencies and electrical safety statutes.
- Must have an awareness and be able to perform functions pertaining to setup, programming & troubleshooting of: Instrument Transmitter setup (E&H, Foxboro, ABB, Ametek, Red Lion)
- Should have an awareness and be able to perform functions pertaining to setup, programming & troubleshooting PLC (Allen Bradley, GE Fanuc/Emerson), Distributed Control Systems(Schneider Foxboro)
- Must be able to use hand tools on a daily basis such as power tools, Multimeter, Calibrator, Field Communicator, Power Logger, Oscilloscope.
- Must have a working knowledge and proficiency with installing, repairing and maintaining industrial electrical components and equipment.
- Instrumentation(Pressure, Flow, Metering), motors, inverters, soft starts, wye-delta systems, generators along with Relay and ethernet based control
- Interface I/O with control equipment. Discrete, Analogue and Data
- Must have a working knowledge of schematics, mathematics, preventive/predictive technologies, safe electrical test and measurement best practices
- Must have an awareness and be able to troubleshoot PID process control loops.
- Interpret and create electrical layout drawings, cable routing and schedule drawings as required while completing defined projects.
- Must be able to manage PC communication and function to interface with electrical instrument apparatus for setup, backup and execution of lab and industrial equipment.
- Work with Microsoft Suite Tools to create and update work status, timelines, logical depictions, and reports.
- Must have a working knowledge of IT Infrastructure architecture, Communication and protocols for interface with lab and industrial equipment.
- Installation of new and replacement Process Instruments and Control Valves
- Preventative Maintenance and calibration of process instruments and Control Valves
- Backup for Controls Technician
- Work with Process Control Leader to ensure process is running smoothly.
- Assist with specification of new and replacement Process Instruments and Control Valves
- 3-5 + yrs. experience in an industrial Instrumentation setting.
- Strong instrument, and electrical skills.
- A willingness to learn and expand Instrument and Control skills.
- Certification/degree in industrial maintenance/repair.
- Must have strong electrical background in AC/DC motor control, PLC’s and Industrial Electronic Control Systems-digital, analog, Instrumentation, and troubleshooting.
- Must be willing to work overtime weekdays, weekends and holidays as required.
- Work area includes indoor and outdoor locations, ground level and elevated levels.