City of Clarksville
Clarksville, TN, USA · Clarksville, TN, USA
Posted on Tuesday, November 7, 2023
This is the third of three levels in the Legal series. Incumbents direct the legal activities of the City. Responsibilities may include representing the City in all legal matters; advising the Mayor, City Council, and senior management on legal issues; supervising lower level legal, administrative, and legal support employees; and performing the duties of the lower level.***PLEASE NOTE: INTERESTED APPLICANTS MUST INCLUDE A RESUME AND COVER LETTER ALONG WITH THEIR COMPLETED APPLICATION TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION. THIS POSITION WILL REMAIN OPEN THROUGH NOVERMBER 14, 2023, OR UNTIL FILLED.***
- Example of Duties
TYPICAL CLASS ESSENTIAL DUTIES: (These duties are a representative sample; position assignments may vary.)
- Manages and oversees legal staff to include: prioritizing and assigning work; conducting performance evaluations; ensuring staff are trained; ensuring that employees follow policies and procedures; maintaining a healthy and safe working environment; and making hiring, termination, and disciplinary recommendations.
- Develops and implements internal operations, which includes planning, coordinating, administering, and evaluating projects, processes, policies, procedures, systems, and standards; allocating resources; and ensuring compliance with Federal, State, and local laws, regulations, codes, and/or standards.
- Prepares and reviews legal documents and manages legal cases, which may include: trying cases; selecting juries, arguing motions, writing briefs, arguing cases, and/or performing other related activities.
- Prepares cases for hearings and trials.
- Serves as a legal advisor to the Board of City management; attends department meetings to communicate and obtain formation.
- Typical Qualifications
TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE (positions in this class typically require):
Doctor of Jurisprudence and five years experience as a practicing attorney including some management or supervisory experience; or, an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above.
- Supplemental Information
LICENSING REQUIREMENTS (positions in this class typically require)
KNOWLEDGE (position requirements at entry):
- Tennessee state law license.
SKILLS (position requirements at entry):
- Managerial principles;
- Legal theory;
- Applicable Federal, State, and local laws, rules, regulations, codes, and/or statutes;
- Caseload management techniques;
- Contract management principles and practices;
- Court procedures;
- Criminal justice system;
- Research methods;
- Legal document preparation techniques;
- Computers and related software applications.
- Monitoring and evaluating employees;
- Interpreting and applying applicable laws, rules, and regulations;
- Providing sound legal advice;
- Analyzing complex information;
- Conducting legal research;
- Preparing legal documents;
- Applying legal principles to determinations on individual cases and problems;
- Analyzing, appraising, and organizing facts, evidence, and precedents relevant to assigned cases;
- Using computers and related software applications;
- Communication, interpersonal skills as applied to interaction with subordinates, coworkers, supervisor, the general public, etc. sufficient to exchange or convey information and to give and receive work direction.
Positions in this class typically require: reaching, standing, walking, fingering, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing, seeing, and repetitive motions.
Sedentary Work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects, including the human body. Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time. Jobs are sedentary if walking and standing are required only occasionally and all other sedentary criteria are met.
The above job description is intended to represent only the key areas of responsibilities; specific position assignments will vary depending on the business needs of the department.