Administrative Support Supervisor
City of Clarksville
Administration, People & HR, Customer Service, Operations
Clarksville, TN, USA
Posted on Saturday, October 14, 2023
This is the fourth of four levels in the Administrative Support series. Incumbents coordinate, develop, and implement office procedures, and supervise lower level administrative support staff. Responsibilities may include developing, revising, and implementing office procedure; training employees on office equipment and software; ensuring optimal use of software applications; compiling, tracking, and analyzing data; assigning tasks; monitoring work; and performing the duties of the lower levels.***PLEASE NOTE: STRONG CUSTOMER SERVICE SKILLS, A MININIUM OF TWO YEARS OF DIRECT SUPERVISION IN CUSTOMER SERVICE, AND EXPERIENCE USING MUNIS OR SIMILAR GOVERNMENTAL SOFTWARE IS STRONGLY PREFERRED BUT NOT REQUIRED. IN ADDITION TO COMPLETING THE APPLICATION, PLEASE ATTACH A COPY OF YOUR RESUME. THIS POSITION WILL REMAIN OPEN THROUGH OCTOBER 20, 2023, OR UNTIL FILLED.***
- Example of Duties
TYPICAL CLASS ESSENTIAL DUTIES: (These duties are a representative sample; position assignments may vary.)
- Supervises administrative support staff to include: prioritizing and assigning work; conducting performance evaluations; developing policies and procedures; ensuring that employees follow policies and procedures; ensuring staff are trained; maintaining a healthy and safe working environment; and making hiring, termination, and disciplinary recommendations.
- Assesses, develops, revises, and implements office procedures; ensures optimal use of software applications; provides training to lower level employees.
- Prepares, reviews, interprets, compiles, and analyzes a variety of information, data, forms, records, business correspondence, department information, and/or reports; makes recommendations based on findings.
- Provides complex administrative support which includes preparing meeting agendas and taking formal meeting minutes; maintaining departmental data; determining department software needs; preparing and distributing department documents; and/or performing the duties of lower level staff.
- Performs other duties of a similar nature or level.
- Typical Qualifications
TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE: (positions in this class typically require):
Associate's degree and three years administrative support experience; or, an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above.
- Supplemental Information
LICENSING REQUIREMENTS (positions in this class typically require):
Some positions may require certification in area of responsibility.
KNOWLEDGE (position requirements at entry):
SKILLS (position requirements at entry)
- Supervisory principles and practices;
- Modern office procedures and equipment;
- Customer service principles;
- Recordkeeping principles;
- Mathematical concepts;
- English language, grammar, and punctuation;
- Report preparation techniques;
- Computers and related software applications.
- Monitoring and evaluating employees;
- Prioritizing and assigning work;
- Compiling and analyzing data;
- Maintaining records and files;
- Preparing meeting agendas and minutes;
- Preparing reports;
- Using proper English, grammar, punctuation, and spelling;
- Using computers and related software applications;
- Communication, interpersonal skills as applied to interaction with subordinates, coworkers, supervisor, the general public, etc. sufficient to exchange or convey information and to give and receive work direction.
Positions in this class typically require: reaching, standing, walking, fingering, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing, seeing, and repetitive motions.
Sedentary Work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects, including the human body. Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time. Jobs are sedentary if walking and standing are required only occasionally and all other sedentary criteria are met.
The above job description is intended to represent only the key areas of responsibilities; specific position assignments will vary depending on the business needs of the department.