Gas Construction Worker I
City of Clarksville
Clarksville, TN, USA
Posted on Wednesday, October 11, 2023
CLASS SUMMARY:This is the first of four levels in the Gas Construction series. Incumbents participate in the general installation, repair, and maintenance of the natural gas distribution system as trained and directed. Responsibilities may include: operating power and hand tools to excavate gas lines, as well as other underground utilities; performing labor related to the installation of gas distribution systems; inspecting and repairing existing gas infrastructure; recording activities; and filing paperwork.
***PLEASE NOTE: THIS POSITION WILL REMAIN OPEN THROUGH 10/17/2023 OR UNTIL FILLED.***
- Example of Duties
TYPICALLY CLASS ESSENTIAL DUTIES:(These duties are a representative sample; position assignments may vary.)
- Maintains, operates and checks the operation of distribution system and facilities, which includes: installing, locating, inspecting, maintaining, and repairing pipelines, fittings, and valves; plumbing and pipe fitting gas lines; cleaning and exercising valves; and/or performing related duties.
- Performs inspections of equipment and facilities and assists in restoration of failures or operating difficulties, which includes stopping and starting equipment as required for repair; and performing routine maintenance of equipment and facilities.
- Maintains records and logs of systems operation and maintenance activities.
- Performs other duties of a similar nature or level.
- Typical Qualifications
TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE (positions in this class typically require):
High School Diploma or equivalent (G.E.D.) and a combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above.
- Supplemental Information
LICENSING REQUIREMENTS (positions in this class typically require):
- Driver's License
- Must obtain a Class "A" Commercial Driver's License typically within the first 6 months of employment.
- Operation and maintenance of applicable power and hand tools, equipment, and machinery;
- Basic inspection principles;
- Safe work methods;
- Recordkeeping principles.
- Recognizing unusual, inefficient, or dangerous operating conditions;
- Maintaining records;
- Communication, interpersonal skills as applied to interaction with coworkers, supervisor, the general public, etc. sufficient to exchange or convey information and to receive work direction.
Positions in this class typically require: climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, fingering, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing, seeing, and repetitive motions.
Heavy Work: Exerting up to 100 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 50 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
Incumbents may be subjected to moving mechanical parts, electrical currents, fumes, odors, dusts, gases, poor ventilation, chemicals, extreme temperatures, inadequate lighting, work space restrictions, and intense noises.
The above job description is intended to represent only the key areas of responsibilities; specific position assignments will vary depending on the business needs of the department.