Equipment Maintenance Mechanic
City of Clarksville
Clarksville, TN, USA
Posted on Tuesday, October 10, 2023
This is the third of five levels in the Equipment Maintenance series. Incumbents analyze, inspect, test, maintain, and repair a variety of vehicles and equipment. Responsibilities may include maintaining and repairing brake, engine, electrical, fuel, hydraulic, transmission, ignition, exhaust, axle assemblies, air conditioning, and related systems; performing minor body repair; changing and repairing tires; providing assistance to disabled vehicles; and maintaining maintenance and repair records.***PLEASE NOTE: THIS POSITION IS PART-TIME. WORK HOURS WILL BE EVENING SHIFT FROM 2:00 P.M. TO 10:00 P.M. THE NUMBER OF HOURS PER WEEK IS FLEXIBLE AND MAY BE DISCUSSED DURING THE INTERVIEW PROCESS. THIS POSITION WILL REMAIN OPEN UNTIL FILLED.***
- Example of Duties
TYPICAL CLASS ESSENTIAL DUTIES: (These duties are a representative sample; position assignments may vary.)
- Troubleshoots, diagnoses, and performs complex, skilled repairs and/or overhauls to vehicles and equipment in assigned area of responsibility, including inspecting and replacing broken or worn parts.
- Diagnoses, repairs, cleans, adjusts, and installs fuel, ignition, electrical, and cooling systems involving repair and replacement of applicable parts which, depending on assignment, may include carburetors, fuel pumps, starter motors, distributors, generators/alternators, voltage regulators, wiring, switches, batteries, radiators, thermostats, and water pumps.
- Performs preventative maintenance and servicing activities which depending on assignment, may include: changing oil; changing filters; applying lubricants; checking fluid levels; inspecting brakes, chassis components, and tires; and performing related activities.
- Completes a variety of logs, documents, and/or simple reports regarding quantity of materials handled, equipment operations, vehicle conditions, maintenance and repair activities, and/or related information.
- Performs other duties of a similar nature or level.
- Typical Qualifications
TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE: (positions in this class typically require):
High School Diploma or equivalent (G.E.D.), one year of specialized or technical training in vehicle and/or equipment maintenance, and one year experience in mechanical maintenance and repair; or, an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above.
- Supplemental Information
LICENSING REQUIREMENTS (positions in this class typically require):
KNOWLEDGE (position requirements at entry):
- Commercial Driver's License.
SKILLS (position requirements at entry):
- Skilled vehicle and/or equipment maintenance and repair practices and procedures in assigned area of responsibility;
- Applicable tools and equipment;
- Diagnostic devises utilized in identifying vehicle and/or equipment malfunctions;
- Occupational hazards and safety precautions;
- Recordkeeping principles;
- Computers and related software applications.
- Using applicable tools and equipment;
- Maintaining and repairing vehicles and equipment;
- Detecting and diagnosing vehicle and equipment malfunctions;
- Maintaining operational records and reports;
- Using a computer and related software applications;
- Communication, interpersonal skills as applied to interaction with subordinates, coworkers, supervisor, the general public, etc. sufficient to exchange or convey information and to receive work direction.
Positions in this class typically require: climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, fingering, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing, seeing, and repetitive motions.
Very Heavy Work: Exerting in excess of 100 pounds of force occasionally, and/or in excess of 50 pounds of force frequently, and/or in excess of 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
Incumbents may be subjected to moving mechanical parts, electrical currents, fumes, odors, dusts, gases, poor ventilation, oils, extreme temperatures, inadequate lighting, work space restrictions, intense noises and travel.
The above job description is intended to represent only the key areas of responsibilities; specific position assignments will vary depending on the business needs of the department.