City of Clarksville
Clarksville, TN, USA · Clarksville, TN, USA
Posted on Saturday, August 5, 2023
This is the first of three levels in the Internal Audit series. Incumbents conduct compliance, investigative, and performance audits. Responsibilities may include preparing annual audit programs; conducting internal audits to determine compliance with laws, regulations, and standards and to assess performance; developing recommendations based on audit findings; preparing reports regarding audit findings; following up on recommendations to determine if recommendations were implemented; performing quality reviews of all departmental audit reports for adherence to professional and departmental standards; and preparing and maintaining detailed records of activities.***PLEASE NOTE: A SEPARATE RESUME AND COVER LETTER MUST BE ATTACHED TO THE APPLICATION TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION. CPA, CIA, AND/OR CFE DESIGNATIONS ARE PREFERRED. POSITION REQUIRES A VALID DRIVER'S LICENSE AND A RELIABLE FORM OF TRANSPORTATION THAT IS AVAILABLE FOR TRAVEL TO VARIOUS LOCATIONS WITHIN THE CITY. THIS POSITION WILL REMAIN OPEN THROUGH AUGUST 11, 2023, OR UNTIL FILLED.***
- Example of Duties
TYPICAL CLASS ESSENTIAL DUTIES: (These duties are a representative sample; position assignments may vary.)
- Performs internal audits, which involves applying current generally accepted accounting principles, auditing standards, and appraisal standards.
- Provides consultation and guidance to management, program managers, staff, and/or other interested internal and external parties; prepares and collects information necessary for audits; maintains confidentiality of sensitive information and protected health information (PHI) in accordance with the HIPAA Privacy Rule and Security Rule.
- Analyzes and assesses complex audit results.
- Performs quality reviews of all departmental audit reports for release to the public.
- Prepares detailed work papers to support audit findings.
- Prepares a variety of complex reports that outline audit results; makes recommendations for process improvements.
- Conducts investigations resulting from fraud hotline reports.
- Performs other duties of a similar nature or level.
- Typical Qualifications
TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE (positions in this class typically require):
Bachelor's degree in accounting or a related field; or, an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above.
- Supplemental Information
LICENSING REQUIREMENTS (positions in this class typically require):
KNOWLEDGE (position requirements at entry):
- Valid Driver's License.
SKILLS (position requirements at entry):
- Accounting principles and practices;
- Auditing principles and practices;
- Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP);
- International Professional Practice Framework (IPPF);
- GASB Accounting Standards;
- Internal control frameworks;
- Applicable Federal, State, and local laws, rules, statutes, and regulations;
- Recordkeeping principles;
- Computers and related software applications;
- Grammar and proper sentence structure.
- Performing audits;
- Reviewing general ledgers, depreciation schedules, trial balances, and other related financial statements and information;
- Applying GAAP and/or GASB procedures and principles;
- Analyzing applicable auditing standards;
- Assisting in obtaining, preparing, and organizing information and data used in connection with audits;
- Writing reports;
- Applying applicable Federal, State, and/or local laws, rules, and regulations;
- Analyzing financial information and drawing valid conclusions;
- Maintaining records;
- Using a computer and related software applications;
- Communication, interpersonal skills as applied to interaction with coworkers, supervisor, the general public, etc. sufficient to exchange or convey information and to receive work direction.
Positions in this class typically require: reaching, standing, walking, fingering, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing, seeing, and repetitive motions.
Sedentary Work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects, including the human body. Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time. Jobs are sedentary if walking and standing are required only occasionally and all other sedentary criteria are met.
Incumbents may be subjected to travel. Incumbents must have a reliable form of transportation and license that is available for travel to various locations within the City.
The above job description is intended to represent only the key areas of responsibilities; specific position assignments will vary depending on the business needs of the department.
- Valid Driver's License.