Water/Wastewater Construction Worker I
City of Clarksville
Clarksville, TN, USA
Posted on Friday, August 4, 2023
***PLEASE NOTE: THIS POSITION WILL REMAIN OPEN THROUGH 8/03/2023 OR UNTIL FILLED.***
***PLEASE NOTE: THIS VACANCY IS LOCATED IN THE WATER CONSTRUCTION DIVISION OF THE GAS AND WATER DEPARTMENT. ***
CLASS SUMMARY:This is the first of four levels in the Water/Wastewater Construction series. Incumbents participate in the general repair and installation of water distribution and/or wastewater collection systems as trained and directed. Responsibilities may include operating power and hand tools to excavate water and sewer lines; performing labor related to the installation of water distribution and/or wastewater collection systems; inspecting and repairing existing water/wastewater infrastructure; recording activities; and filing paperwork.
- Example of Duties
- TYPICAL CLASS ESSENTIAL DUTIES: (These duties are a representative sample; position assignments may vary.)
- Maintains, operates and checks the operation of collection systems and facilities, which includes: locating, inspecting, maintaining, and repairing manholes, valves, and hydrants; plumbing and pipe fitting water and wastewater lines; cleaning and exercising valves and hydrants; and/or performing related duties.
- Performs inspections of equipment and remote facilities and reports on failures or operating difficulties, which includes stopping and starting equipment as required for repair; and cleaning, lubricating, and performing routine maintenance of equipment and facilities.
- Maintains records and logs of systems operation and maintenance activities.
- Performs other duties of a similar nature or level.
- Typical Qualifications
- TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE (positions in this class typically require):
High School Diploma or equivalent (G.E.D.) and a combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above.
- Supplemental Information
- LICENSING REQUIREMENTS (positions in this class typically require):
KNOWLEDGE (position requirements at entry):
- Driver's License
- Must obtain a Class "A" Commercial Driver's License typically within the first 6 months of employment.
SKILLS (position requirements at entry):
- Operation and maintenance of applicable power and hand tools, equipment, and machinery;
- Basic inspection principles;
- Safe work methods;
- Recordkeeping principles.
- Recognizing unusual, inefficient, or dangerous operating conditions;
- Maintaining records;
- Communication, interpersonal skills as applied to interaction with coworkers, supervisor, the general public, etc. sufficient to exchange or convey information and to receive work direction.
Positions in this class typically require: climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, fingering, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing, seeing, and repetitive motions.
Heavy Work: Exerting up to 100 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 50 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
Incumbents may be subjected to moving mechanical parts, electrical currents, fumes, odors, dusts, gases, poor ventilation, chemicals, extreme temperatures, inadequate lighting, work space restrictions, and intense noises.
The above job description is intended to represent only the key areas of responsibilities; specific position assignments will vary depending on the business needs of the department.