City of Clarksville
Clarksville, TN, USA
Posted on Wednesday, June 1, 2022
This is the first of five levels in the Equipment Operations series. Incumbents operate dump trucks, snow plows, and similar vehicles requiring a commercial driver's license. Responsibilities may include operating a variety of vehicles, flagging traffic, and performing manual labor.***PLEASE NOTE: THIS POSITION WILL REMAIN OPEN THROUGH FEBRUARY 3, 2022, OR UNTIL FILLED.***
- Example of Duties
TYPICAL CLASS ESSENTIAL DUTIES: (These duties are a representative sample; position assignments may vary.)
- Operates heavy, specialized equipment, which may include: dump trucks, snow plows, and/or related equipment.
- Transports equipment and/or materials to designated job site(s).
- Inspects, maintains, and performs basic repairs to equipment.
- Operates a variety of small motorized and/or hand tools to perform manual labor activities.
- Performs a variety of duties requiring manual labor including flagging traffic, picking up debris, and/or other related duties.
- Performs other duties of a similar nature or level.
- Typical Qualifications
TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE (positions in this class typically require):
High School Diploma or equivalent (G.E.D.); or, an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above.
- Supplemental Information
LICENSING REQUIREMENTS (positions typically require):
KNOWLEDGE (position requirements at entry):
- Class B Commercial Driver's License
SKILLS (position requirements at entry):
- Applicable tools and equipment;
- Manual labor practices;
- Equipment maintenance and repair principles and practices;
- Occupational hazards and safety precautions;
- Safety driving practices;
- Applicable traffic laws, ordinances, and rules.
- Operating motor vehicles and applicable equipment;
- Performing preventive maintenance to applicable equipment;
- Conducting vehicle inspections and recognizing defects;
- Performing manual labor;
- Communication, interpersonal skills as applied to interaction with coworkers, supervisor, the general public, etc. sufficient to exchange or convey information and to receive work direction.
Positions in this class typically require: climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, fingering, grasping, talking, hearing, seeing, and repetitive motions.
Heavy Work: Exerting up to 100 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 50 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
Incumbents may be subjected to moving mechanical parts, vibrations, fumes, odors, dusts, gases, poor ventilation, chemicals, oils, extreme temperatures, inadequate lightning, intense noises, travel, and environmental hazards.
The above job description is intended to represent only the key areas of responsibilities; specific position assignments will vary depending on the business needs of the department.