School Crossing Guard
City of Clarksville
Responsible for ensuring the safety of school children crossing the street in designated school zones.***PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS A PART-TIME SEASONAL POSITION. CROSSING GUARDS ARE ASSIGNED A SCHOOL AND IN SOME CASES MAY WORK MULTIPLE ZONES. CROSSING GUARDS TYPICALLY WORK FIVE (5) HOURS PER WEEK.***
- Example of Duties
TYPICAL ESSENTIAL DUTIES:(These duties are a representative sample; position assignments may vary):
- Directs or escorts school children safely across streets in school zones, stopping traffic as necessary.
- Controls the flow of traffic to allow school buses to arrive and/or depart the schools in a safe manner.
- Rapidly scans the environment by looking left to right to monitor the flow of traffic, pedestrians, and school buses moving toward the area under the crossing guard's control.
- Performs other duties of a similar nature or level.
- Typical Qualifications
TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE (positions of this nature typically require):
High School Diploma or equivalent (G.E.D.) or, an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above.
- Supplemental Information
LICENSING REQUIREMENTS (positions of this type typically require):
- Traffic patterns within the assigned school zone area.
- Ability to continually pay attention to and notice details while in a distracting environment;
- Working independently and following instructions;
- Ensuring safety precautions are followed at all times;
- Communication, interpersonal skills as applied to interaction with supervisor, children, and the general public, etc. sufficient to exchange or convey information and to receive work direction.