Parks and Recreation Instructor
City of Clarksville
Clarksville, TN, USA
Posted on Wednesday, June 1, 2022
CLASS SUMMARY:Responsible for planning, instructing, and supervising a specialized recreation program or class under the immediate supervision of the Parks and Recreation Superintendent. Examples of instruction may include but are not limited to: group fitness, wellness, aerobics, music, arts and crafts, outdoor recreation, dance, educational workshops, personal development or enrichment, etc. Instruction may target specific age groups or be made available to all ages.
***PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS A TEMPORARY PART-TIME POSITION. CERTIFICATION IN THE PROPOSED PROGRAM AREA IS REQUIRED FOR ALL EXERCISE-RELATED PROGRAMS AND PREFERRED FOR ALL OTHERS. THIS POSITION WILL REMAIN OPEN THROUGH FEBRUARY 8, 2022, OR UNTIL FILLED.
- Example of Duties
TYPICAL CLASS ESSENTIAL DUTIES: (These duties area a representative sample; position assignments may vary.)
- Organizes and instructs a specialized recreation class or program, developing specific program outcomes. Explains and demonstrates instructional techniques to participants. Ensures that participants are engaged and that the class abides by industry standards relative to the subject area. Motivates all class participants to accomplish the program or personal goals.
- Prepares instructional materials and supplies. Sets up and cleans up room/area. Distributes, collects, inspects, and accounts for equipment. Demonstrates proper use of equipment.
- Performs customer service duties to include professionally and politely communicating with participants, parents, and staff.
- Enforces department rules and regulations and promotes and maintains order and discipline. Notifies supervisor or facility manager of all equipment needs and potential safety hazards.
- Responsible for keeping accurate records, including incident reports, participation records and rosters, and time records.
- Typical Qualifications
TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE (positions in this class typically require):
High School diploma or equivalent (G.E.D.), prior experience in the recreation field preferred; or, any equivalent combination of education and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities to provide specialized instruction. A minimum of three moths of experience instructing the specialized class/skill or three years of experience participating at a high level in the specialized skill/class is strongly preferred.
- Supplemental Information
LICENSING REQUIREMENTS (positions in this class typically require):
KNOWLEDGE (position requirements at entry):
- Certification from a nationally accredited organization in area of specialty (dependent upon assignment);
- Current CPR/First Aid Certification.
SKILLS (position requirements at entry):
- Developing recreational programs and administering programs within a specialty area of recreation;
- Customer service principles;
- Professional and appropriate behavior in a recreation environment.
Communicating effectively both verbally and in writing;
Interacting with others to influence, motivate, and challenge them;
Managing and resolving conflicts in a positive and constructive manner to minimize negative personal impact;
Displaying resourcefulness and accepting responsibility;
Working independently and following instructions;
Organizing and promoting physical or enrichment activities;
Supervising and interacting well with children, adults, and patrons of all ability levels;
Planning, developing, and managing, programs and/or events;
Providing customer service;
Preparing and maintaining records and reports;
Communication, interpersonal skills as applied to interaction with coworkers, supervisor, the general public, etc. sufficient to exchange or convey information and to receive work direction.
Positions in this class typically require: climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, grasping, talking, hearing, seeing, and repetitive motions.
Light Work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects.
Incumbents may be subjected to extreme temperatures. May be required to work early morning, nights, weekends, and holidays.
The above job description is intended to represent only the key areas of responsibilities; specific position assignments will vary depending on the needs of the department. This position is a seasonal part-time position. There are no accrued benefits or paid holidays. The weekly work schedule will vary and is subject to change.