Academic Assistant to the Chair- Allied Health Sciences
Austin Peay State University
Clarksville, TN, USA
Posted on Monday, November 6, 2023
Position Summary Information
This non-exempt staff position reports to and assists the Chair in Allied Health Sciences by ensuring all aspects of the department run smoothly and ensuring the most current, accurate information is available to the Chair. This position is often the first point of contact for students and recruits. Under the Chair’s discretion, this position may assist faculty who are assigned specific tasks.
Austin Peay State University is a four-year public, doctoral-level university, with six colleges and four Chairs of Excellence. The University has an enrollment of over 9,000 students and is located in Clarksville, Tennessee, a community of an estimated 166,000 people located approximately 40 miles northwest of Nashville, TN
|Primary Duties and Responsibilities||
- Greet visitors and assist as necessary, answer incoming calls and emails, respond to inquiries or transfer calls to the appropriate person. Pick up and distribution of mail and packages.
- Process requisitions, payment authorizations, purchase supplies for the office, classrooms, labs/studio/building or other needs as arise in the department. Complete textbook requisitions for the bookstore each semester.
- Prepare payroll forms both paper & electronic, complete student hiring forms,temporary hiring documents, faculty hiring documents, and interview arrangements.
- Process travel authorizations, travel claims, study abroad documents, purchase airline tickets, make hotel reservations, reserve cars, process conference registrations, request and distribute funds in advance for faculty, students, and Chair.
- Assist Chair with scholarship awards, department awards, college awards, scheduling student seminars, arranging for speakers, recruitment events and letters, alumni events and letters. Maintain files for office. Catalog course syllabi, student evaluations, work orders, key requests, and swipe card access. Maintain a department calendar.
- Provide support for office equipment. Maintain departmental web page. The assistant oversees the departmental computer lab.
- Utilizing Chair guidelines, enter permits, assign advisors, workload (TLC) changes, class schedule entry, review and correct bulletins. Supervise and assign work to scholarship and work study students. May be asked to proctor a major field test or exam.
- Prepare class room usage, DFW, enrollment, RTP document signatures, curriculum proposals, TLC , and other department specific reports.
- Assist the Chair in monitoring budgets to include monthly reconciliation with Banner.
- Complete Dual-service contracts, personal service agreements, and other standard contracts for the Chair’s review and signature.
- Other duties as assigned.
|Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities||
- Ability to efficiently operate a personal computer and associated software (Outlook, Word, Excel, etc.) and Elusion Banner.
- Ability to communicate effectively and appropriately.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of records and information.
- Ability to interact in an effective and appropriate manner with diverse populations, the University community, and the public.
- Ability to detect and correct grammatical and spelling errors in written correspondence.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Light Work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects.
- Moderate walking and climbing is required (walking to post office, cashier’s office, other buildings’ conference rooms for meetings).
|Required Minimum Qualifications||
- High school graduate, associate degree desired.
- Previous office experience.
- A background check will be required of the successful applicant.