Temporary Part-Time Counselor
Austin Peay State University
Posted on Tuesday, April 4, 2023
Position Summary Information
|Position Summary|| |
The Temporary Part-Time Counselor (Educational Specialist) reports to the Director of the Educational Opportunity Center (EOC) and provides educational, career and financial aid counseling to assist primarily lower-income adults in selecting programs of study and appropriate postsecondary institutions.
Grant Funded position.
Temporary Part-Time – 29 hours per week
Continuation contingent upon availability of funding.
|Primary Duties and Responsibilities|| |
- Assist participants in completing admissions and financial aid applications to post-secondary institutions.
- Conduct educational, career and financial aid workshops within the target area.
- Staff community outreach centers on a regularly scheduled basis to provide educational information, FAFSA submissions, Admissions applications, and educational counseling.
- Maintain personal or written communication with participants for an ongoing period following initial enrollment as an EOC participant.
- Maintain and submit accurate records of all services provided to participants.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
|Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities|| |
- Ability to efficiently operate a personal computer and associated software (Outlook, Word, Excel and Blumen).
- Ability to communicate effectively and appropriately with participants and EOC staff in person and over the phone.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of records and information.
- Ability to interact in an effective and appropriate manner with diverse populations, of the public and university community.
- Ability to detect and correct grammatical and spelling errors in written correspondence.
- Ability to maintain files accurately in paper and in software programs.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to interpret various kinds of educational programs and courses of study available at postsecondary institutions within the target area.
- Ability to effectively counsel students in educational subjects.
- Ability to visit in outreach centers located throughout community.
|Physical Requirements|| |
Sedentary Work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects.
|Required Minimum Qualifications|| |
- Bachelors of Arts relating to the field of Education, and/or Adult Education, or Career Development counseling with a minimum of 1-year previous work experience in college student development, educational counseling, adult education or related area.
- A background check will be required for the successful applicant.
- An official transcript and names, addresses and phone numbers of three (3) references will be required for the successful applicant.